As outlined on this page, we offer a variety of services in which we process any glass provided or provide readily processed glass.
From bevelling and strengthening to glazing.
We can add a bevel (angled surface cut) to any glass provided to give it a modern and sleek border without the need for a frame.
Strengthening (Safety Glass)
Safety glass is commonly available in two forms: laminated or toughened
Shatterprufe or Laminated
This product makes it significantly more difficult for criminals to intrude into a building or break through a shop front.
In addition to its well-proven safety and security benefits, shatterprufe reduces noise levels and harmful UV radiation.
Two or more pieces of glass are joined together by an interlayer/s of a plastic material,
polyvinyl butyral (PVB) which prevents the glass from shattering which creates a ‘spider web’ effect.
Float glass is the basic glass that most buildings are glazed with. It forms the basis from which all other forms of glass are derived.
It is a clear glass with a uniform appearance appreciated for its smooth flat surfaces.
Float glass in thicknesses from 4-19mm which is much stronger in tension – at least four times stronger than normal float glass.
Toughened safety glass has superb resistance to thermal stress where ordinary glass would be likely to fracture.
If broken, the glass will shatter into small fragments minimizing the risk of injury caused by normal glass splintering.
The process of manufacture is by heating up the glass and cooling it rapidly in air. The lead-time is thus about 2 weeks on order.
Once thermally toughened, the glass will shatter if cut or drilled.
Shatterprufe is available in a nominal thickness, such as 4, 5 or 6 mm in three performance variations.
Our standard stock item is 6.38mm
- Normal Strength(NS)for human impact safety (0.38mm PVB interlayers)
- High Penetration Resistant (HPR) for additional security (0.76mm PVB interlayer)
- High Impact (HI) for security in high-risk applications (1.52mm PVB interlayer)
Shatterprufe is tested by repeatedly dropping a 225g steel ball from a height of nine metres. The impact of each drop can be likened to the blow from a hammer.
The table shows the number of blows required to penetrate the glass.
|Number of blows
N.B: The size of the hole at penetration point is about 50mm in diameter.
Many more blows are required to gain access.
Energy Efficient Glazing
Low E (low emissivity) glass can reduce the amount of heat that is conducted through the glass by around 30% compared to ordinary glass
and reduce the need for air-conditioning and heating, however the most comprehensive solution is found by combining a Low E coating with double glazing.
Glazing Thickness Recommendation
Glass products are subject to building regulations that govern the thickness relative to the size of a pane.
These regulations are summarised in the table below.
|Glazing Area (m2)
||Nominal Thickness (mm)
||Maximum Sheet Size (mm)
||Approx. Mass (kg/m2)
|0.00 - 0.75
||1830 x 2440
|0.75 - 1.5
||1830 x 2440
|1.5 - 2.10
||3210 x 2440
|2.10 - 3.20
||3210 x 2250
Safety Glazing Regulations - SANS 10400-N
To ensure the protection and safety of people living and working in residential and commercial buildings the following must be glazed:
- ALL doors – irrespective of the pane size
- A window which has a sill height of less than 500 mm from the floor
- In any shop front or display window within 2100 mm from the finished floor level
- Glazing applications which are sloped & ALL skylights
- Internal partitions, which are within 2100 mm of floor level
- Any wall or balustrade to a stairway, ramp, landing or balcony or around swimming pool areas
- Within 1 800 mm of the pitch line of a stairway or the surface of a ramp, landing or balcony
- A bath enclosure or shower cubicle or where glazing occurs immediately above a bath
- A mirror is installed as a facing to a cupboard door less than 800 mm above floor level & there is no solid backing
Obscure patterned glass obscures a view without noticeable loss of natural or artificial light.
There are numerous patterns available in a range of textures,
making it possible to achieve the desired functionality with a decorative effect that complements the aesthetic environment.
Both clear and amber colours are readily available and upon special request (dependant on import availability),
more creative colours such as blue, green and purple.
Please contact us or request a quote by filling in the form below.